Thursday, April 7, 2011

PLEASE VISIT ME! Pretty Please????

I know I've been gone for eons. I have written my returning post a hundred times in my head but it always ended up with you throwing up and that didn't seem like a good way to begin again. Then, there was the chicken aspect - me being chicken to trail out the crazy/horrible/private/weird details of my malady that won't let me sit down in my computer chair long enough to write anything worth reading. But all that can wait. (And the choir sang, Praise the LORD!)

Then something happened. I got a quick note from a blogging friend and it made me miss her and think about her all over again. It wasn't anything wordy or informative; just a line. I had long ago given up trying to visit blogs because all I have to use is an Ipod and, if you have one, you know how desperately slow it loads web pages. By the time I would get in and read, of COURSE I'd want to comment because I'm not known for not having an opinion (something very grammatically incorrect with that sentence but, who cares? It's my blog....gosh, I miss this heady freedom!). And so I would wax humorous, eloquent, loquacious, entertaining, (or more likely serious, feeble, tongue-tied, and boring but let's not nit-pick) and then it would ask me to sign in.

I would…..

……through a very long, involved process. Ten minutes later, I was in and my comments were gone. I'm slow, but it didn't take me long to figure out this was a rapid slide into insanity. I ride too close to the edge as it is. I can't afford that kind of risk. So I bailed. I checked email and Facebook and let that connect me to the world. I have kissed my Ipod even though it is limited. At least it's a window! But it's not blogging. And it's not visiting your blogs. And so, I walked on the wild side and dropped into Vicky's blog, via my Ipod. Something about what she wrote made me go.

And this is what I found out........

My sweet blogging friend has cancer. Not just any cancer, either. She had to be an overachiever. She has stage IV breast cancer. She just found out about two weeks ago. One day, life was cooking along and she was just another hockey mom cheering on her two sons who are in second and fourth grade, doing the things moms/women/wives do. She was also recovering from the loss of her VERY dear father several months back, and, as if that wasn't enough....wham. A lump she found seemed out of the ordinary. She'd had two before and they were benign. This one was different. She followed up. And she found out - quickly. It seems there is also a spot on her liver, and spine. She is headed right into an experimental treatment and she has the attitude of a prize fighter. In fact, her home-girls have showered her with gifts and get-togethers and she has signs and gifts that say, "Fight like a girl!" One of her hockey mom friends has made bracelets out of darling hockey laces and is selling them for $5.00 each - through Vicky's blog - to raise money to help her.

moz-screenshot-2

I'm buying mine tonight. It has a clasp and I'll wear it for Vicky and for all my friends and family who have battled this disease. There are more than there should be - seven at last count. If your life, or the life of someone you love, has ever been touched by this disease, would you please visit Vicky's blog and buy one? It is unique and isn't just another plastic bracelet. It's lovely and looks like jewelry.

This is the link: http://thewestraworld.blogspot.com/2011/03/worthy.html

And you'll love Vicky. She is so real. She wrote to me in my early blogging days and encouraged me about some difficult things as only she could. And she's funny and upbeat and looks for every bright spot God ever created. She's looking to Him for healing, guidance, abundance, and the ability to put one foot in front of the other. You will be encouraged when you’re there. Let's stand together and ALL fight like girls - yes, even you GUYS.....if you can take the punch. :)

Please pray and please consider blogging about this yourself, if breast cancer has impacted your life in some way. Thank you, all my patient and loving friends.

With Love,

Robynn

31 comments:

  1. Ah darlin', I just wrote it down so I wouldn't forget, when I say my "big" prayers tonight...I also pray without ceasing throughout the day, (you can always tell, because my lips are movin') and she'll be in them as well. As will you. Some more. Because you well and truly are a blessing to so many people, and I'm glad as all get-out, to hear your 'voice' again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am glad you are back but so sad for your dear blog friend. Fight like a girl is a wonderful sentiment. We can be very tough cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie, I heard my phone buzzing last night and awoke to your wonderful words! I can't even begin to tell you how much I have missed you- missed visiting you and reading you, learning from you and laughing with you. Thank you for this! I can only imagine the discomfort and pain this must have cost you to type this all out and I pray for healing so that you may return to us for good! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will head over to Vicky's after this comment. I have quite a bit of personal history with that awful disease, not me but my mother and sister, so yep, I'll wear one, too. Lost too many to this disease, but I do hope Vicky makes it, as treatment is taking a turn for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fight like a Girl....love it!

    You have been missed!

    Praying for a return to normalcy or as close to it as you can get.

    Blessings
    R

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back. I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope she wins the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy you are back, if even for a moment...you are an unforgettable person!!!

    So very sorry for your friend...my thoughts are with her and her family!

    Cancer is such a far reaching terrible disease, I've personal family history with as I'm sure do most of your readers...after this long you would think we should have been able to stomp it out????

    See you when you are able!!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robynn - hope that your next post will be more upbeat. I've ordered my bracelet, and will be sure to post about Vicky later today.

    Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Robynn and it is great to read you and comment on your post again. Very sorry about your friend, Vicky. You may know that my dear wife has secondary breast cancer as well - gone to her bones - but hormone therapy drugs seem to be doing their stuff for now.
    So sorry to hear of your med problems. Hugs and a cuddle ~ Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Robynn. What a great friend you are. Thanks for your post about your friend. Prayers for her will be sent from me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness gracious! I thought you might have had a fit and fell in. Glad your back. It's pretty bad when I (the worst blogger ever) is blogging more then you. Miss you much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You and your dear friend will be in my prayers. Luv the "Fight like a Girl". I'll be checkin out the bracelets VERY soon. As with most, I have had to deal with this issue(Not for myself) in multiples. May God guide and strengthen you both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great to see you back, and yet so sad to hear this news...

    Cancer has affected us - but attitude is all in winning the battle!

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a sweet post about Vicky. I will check out her blog and keep checking to hear how she get through the next steps in her treatment.
    I have been thinking about you and I do miss hearing from you but mostly I hope so much good health and less difficulty in your life. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, First of all. . .I'm glad your posting again. I have missed your great sense of humor.

    Second of all. . . Gee, this cancer thing is every where! My father was diagnosed with NONE-Smokers lung cancer. The doctors called it stage 3B so he would qualify for research programs. He lived for 4.5 years. 4.2 years longer then the Dr. said he would...THANKS GOD!!!

    Fight like a girl! YES!!!! and don't for get to put your hips into it!

    Love the hair cut Robyn!!!

    xoxo, Lisa

    I'm on my way to visit Vicky's blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling Robyn, I REALLY miss you. So pleased to see you. Sad for your dear blog friend Vicky, who sounds AMAZING, and am off to visit her blog and buy bracelet as soon as I have written this. Will pray boldly too, as a couple of my 'bold' prayers have been heard recently, and God never lets us down. All love to you. Massive hugs. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry for your blogging friend.I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers. It's good to hear from you again, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have missed reading your wonderful posts that have lifted me up in the past. I am a stage 3B cancer survivor, breast cancer, diagnosed in 2004, chemo, broke a hip missed radiation, recurrence last July in mastectomy scar, 6 weeks of radiation, currently on oral chemo hormone blocker. I am 68. I will be going to Vicky's blog from here. I Fight Like A Girl so need a bracelet to prove it!
    Thanks for teh heads up Robynn and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Robynn, it is so good to see a post from you. So sad to hear about your friend. I will be keeping her in my thoughts.

    I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, a very real welcome back to blogging in how we are here to support each other. I'm sorry for the shock and my heart breaks for what Vicky is facing. I will pray for her and believe that God will strengthen her to fight. I absolutely despise cancer and I am so thankful when people kick it's nasty .... well I don't cuss, but "can" will suffice.

    Glad that you are venturing back to the blogosphere. It is good to hear your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's good to see you are back in the blogging world. We missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome back, Robynn. So sorry to hear about Vicky. yes, cancer seems to touch all of us in some way or another. I have a dear cousin fighting lymphoma right now!

    Hope you continue to mend, Robynn so that we can "hear" more from you in the future.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vicky is in my heart and prayers. Here, though, is the very thing I love about blogging...even after a lapse in posting or time apart visiting one another's blogs, it brings people together that have a genuine interest and care in one another lives simply because we are here together...and I love that! Have missed you, funny lady... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you are back for good! Praying for Vicky--as long as there is life, there is HOPE! I know there is a responsibility for drs. to be honest, but even most of them would acknowledge that they don't know everything!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a sweet and touching post. Will definitely fight like a girl and hope that so many others out there do to. My thoughts are with you and your friend...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just thinking about you--are you ok?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Been there, done that, Robynn. Sooo glad to see you. I, too, love Vicky Westra...and know that her testimony has spread 'roun the world. Hugs and smiles to you, Robynn.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like we've all been on hiatus....nice to be back, and to see you're also back :))

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello? Hello? Is thing even on?
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete