Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I Just Couldn't Do It

I bought a Christmas tree yesterday.

I wasn't going to. Budgetary constraints and common sense and painting and general house confusion had caused me to say, "Impractical. Let's just forget it for this year." But then I drove by the little lot where we always get our trees and there were just a few left. They looked lonely. And I figured the guy would cut me a deal. I mean, it's almost Christmas. It may be a $50 tree but take the $20 bucks I'm offering or eat tree soup in a few days. I figured they'd rather have the $20. I was right. And didn't a whole BUNCH of us do this when we were kids? I remember lots of Christmas Eve trees. That was before Christmas started in September like it does now.

So my tree is sitting on the back porch while I finish painting the wall where it's supposed to be displayed. Nothing like the last minute. And I was counting on Bo having the day off to decorate it so, naturally, she had to work unexpectedly. The poor thing is EXHAUSTED. She just finished finals last week with 16 units (and it looks like she pulled another 4.0 - she has to keep her grades up to keep her scholarship), worked the whole semester and has her volunteer work as well, and a sometime-second-job. If the kid doesn't collapse it'll be a miracle. (Spring semester: 20 units - really?) I miss her. We haven't had one minute to celebrate the season together. No lunches, no shopping, no just sitting with a cup of hot cocoa. These are the times I wish we didn't have to struggle and I could say, "School is enough. Drop everything else and have a life." But we can't. Grizzly's work injury in March started us down a rough financial path when they never covered a single sick day. We've been lucky to hang on to the house by the skin of our teeth (ewww.....what IS the skin of your teeth?). That means we need Bo to work for the things she must have so she ploughs forward and probably builds some character muscles that will last her a lifetime. And her supervisor's daughter was just diagnosed with a serious virus so, naturally, Bo helps and fills in where she's needed. She would never leave her co-workers in a lurch.

And now I added the tree to her "to do" list. But she wanted it, too. We talked while she was lying in bed and we both decided we never know when last Christmases come. Last time it's just the four of us? Last time when we're all in the same town? Or, just the last time? Who knows what life has around the corner for any of us. Isn't that a cheery Christmas thought? Hey, it's been a rough year. There were times I thought one of us would croak, several times I wished I would, and probably a few where others wished I would. (But I lived to spite all of us so why not grab a bargain tree and celebrate?) Come Christmas morning, we might be gazing at a bare tree but it will be a bare CHRISTMAS tree!

So, I'm off to paint and hopefully make fudge at some point - Easter maybe. And then two hours of physical therapy with Atilla the Hun this afternoon. (She's actually a darling girl I absolutely love but she WILL torture you if she needs to and never bat a big, beautiful eyelash.) And I need to quit losing time every day to this S.T.U.P.I.D. issue I'm still dealing with. Right in the middle of painting yesterday when SMACK - six hours gone. No one has six hours to give away to POINTLESSNESS five days before Christmas.

Golly, I bet you've missed all this whining. Sure is good to be back! (And THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES AND WELCOMING GREETINGS! Sounds like it's a strange year for many of us but we're making the best of it and counting our blessings. Guess that's why we're still hangin' together. If your life is perfect, you probably won't like it here!)

In case I don't see you before, I truly wish you all the merriest of Christmases - time with those you love, an opportunity to bless others, and a minute to stop and say, "Everything may be topsy-turvy, troubles may knock at the door, but no matter what, God holds us in His hand and, it is well with my soul."

© Copyright 2010


23 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to get a tree..it will be the bright spot in your week, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this totally touched my heart. I've had NO christmas spirit this year... NONE. I don't have a valid excuse other than the fact that I miss my husband who has to work horrible hours and days for this season, and I just seem to be in some sort of strange funk. Anyway, this morning I woke up feeling the slightest bit of christmasy cheer for the first time this month, and what you said pushed me over into, "ok, so christmas cookies do sound good!" mode. Ha! Feel better, my friend!! And Merry Christmas to you and your peeps! And, many more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many are having difficulties this season. The economy has hit a lot of folks.

    When things are difficult I think hopefully we see tings with different eyes, I know you will appreciate that tree even if it end us being al-la-natural!

    Was super glad to see you blog pop up on my blogroll this afternoon!

    Blessings and Merry Christmas.
    Enjoy that tree!

    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! She's back! Missed all your whining. :)

    I'm glad Whoville will have a tree! Despite all the circumstances, I hope you have a memorable Christmas and enjoy the small things that make Christ's birth worth celebrating.

    Hope you get back to full health in 2011. You have been on ,y heart, mind and prayers while you've been away.

    What a great trick for getting followers. I've tried it intermittenly, but didn't seem to work for me. :) We just love 'ya, that's all.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you decided to get a tree, Robynn! I'm trying to get caught up on your blog.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I typed this big long comment, and when I pressed *comment* - the dang thing got eaten!!!
    Suffice it to say that it was witty and caring and understanding.
    And there were a lot of *hugs and kisses* at the end.
    You know the kind.

    (Now tell me that you didn't do this post on your ipod, or I will be even more amazed and gob-smacked at your strength and tenacity and never-ending sense of humor than I already am. ;)

    And my veri word? fastsms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dearest SASS...
    I have had to dig deep this year for a bit of Christmas spirit. Seems like 2010 was tough for a bunch of folks so there are a lot of us who have built more character than we thought we ever needed. I'm so glad that you've caught us up a bit.

    I hope that you and yours have a wonderful Christmas, full of the reminders of what Christmas is all about... Family, Faith and Love.

    Hugs to all and many wishes and prayers for a better 2011.

    Your old Okie SASS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish you lived just a little closer. I would happily come over (with TLC in tow) and help you out.
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your quote! It is perfect. As you say a lot of us are in Scrooge mode instead of Christ mode- but we're trying like H-E double toothpicks to be better- and just knowing that you are out there is helping to make it so!
    Merry Christmas- enjoy your tree- your health, your family,and anything else that makes you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Robynn!!! So glad you are up for blogging again!!! That means a huge improvement!! I'm so thrilled!!! Just stopped by to wish you Merry Christmas, and to send you all my love!!! ~Janine xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry things are difficult. Glad to hear you're hanging in there with love, family and sense of humour.

    Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are back!!! I really don't care so much for the gifts--not thatI would refuse to receive one, mind you! I find that what I really enjoy is the beautiful music, sitting in a quiet worshipful sanctuary in church with lovely music, the merriment of children's voices, candy canes, fudge, decorating cut out sugar cookies with colored frostings with my granddaughter, listening to the gloriousness of Handel's Messiah while I cook or putter around the house, taking out the old decorations (so much better than the new ones!, a fire in the fireplace...You get the idea--I just love the spirit of Christmas--Hope you have a blessed, prosperous New Year--This is a difficult year for us too and so many I know.
    Hugs,
    V
    P.S. You might want to read Edie's post at www.lifeingrace.com Her home burned down last Tuesday! I love her Dec. post on "Santa Claus Theology", written the day before the tragedy. Hope you will "friend" us on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Easter fudge sounds yummy!
    Take care of you, my friend.
    I'm thinking of you...and wanted you to know. Your smile always comes through in your blog....a natural talent you have!
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope your Christmas was a happy one, bare tree or not!

    I did not do Christmas cards, or gifts this year. Had absolutely NO TIME! I did manage to put up my--umm--artificial tree, though.

    Hey, I used to do a real tree until two years ago! When I went to take it down, I noticed a cobweb spun between the angel at the top to the can light in the ceiling above it! Couldn't bear the thought of bringing new little critters into my home the following year!

    And, I did put the nativity scene up on the mantel above my fireplace this year. But that's about all that got done. I was too busy interviewing potential international students for the two empty rooms I currently have. And then there were other issues like leaking showers and other repairs!

    Anyhow, Happy New Year, Robin. I hope you become fully recovered in 2011. That daughter of yours sure is a gem, isn't she!

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you got the painting done and the tree trimmed. Time to take it down! I enjoyed reading your post...haven't been here in a while, but glad I stopped by.

    Wishing you a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nah, it's not whining, it's just sharing. We ALL share.

    I hope that you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Am so so glad to see you around and about again!! Missed your last post as not doing a great deal myself owing to Real Life, but I send LOADS and LOADS of love to you, and cant wait to hear more. BTW glad you got that tree. Couldn't really not, eh?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow have we ever had a lot in common this last year. I sometimes wonder if letting the house go and getting a trailer or something small would be better and then 3 tornadoes go through the state in one night. Not feelin the trailer idea. I laughed at your comments about wondering if you would make it and your family wondering if they could, same here girl. I drive them all nuts. I hope you got your tree in and a few lights on it anyway! Merry Christmas and Happy New YEar!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you got your tree decorated in time for Christmas.
    And I hope you had a Merry Christmas! Well...as merry as possible. I've had a hard time getting in the spirit myself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just here to say, "I love you!!" ~Janine xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. A Blessed Belated Christmas and Happy New Year to you Robynn.
    I just got back online after nearly a 2 month 100% internet break!!
    It's so good to see you back blogging.
    This coming week my son will transfer all my posts of to my new site ( same URL by the way ). Made some decisions about life on the computer and I deactivated my Facebook acct. personally and on my blog.
    Take care, Keep looking Upward!
    Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Robynn! Glad to see you back. I confess I haven't checked since Thanksgiving, because you were just gone. I hope you and Bo got your christmas tree up just fine. I didn't have any spirit either, so we didn't get our tree till a few days before you got yours. I think Christmas going on for 3 or 4 months saps your energy.

    Anyway, Happy New Year! I hope 2011 shapes up better for you!

    ReplyDelete