Friday, June 18, 2010

The Fast Lane, With Rest Stops

What a whirlwind life is at the moment. I know I’m alone here and the rest of the world has nothing to do. Isn’t that right, World?

But in one week’s time I went with Grizzly to Mineral King (exquisitely lovely National Park) and stayed at the Silver City Resort (shudder) which, as I said before, I will have to describe to you so you can be sure to schedule your hemorrhoid surgery and triple root canal instead of making reservations there this year. Beautiful scenery – but I suggest camping, even without a tent, versus the “Resort.” More later when the bed bug bites on my leg heal and the therapy helps me recover from the spiders that hung in webs over the toilets.

And by the way, you have to pass through the town of Three Rivers to get there. Three Rivers is lovely and you should schedule a vacation there. And someone who reads my blog lives in Three Rivers. I don’t know who it is but I see the town come in on my map reader. I wanted to stop and shout, “I’m in town! Let’s say hello!” but Grizzly thought that revealed too much about my faculties so I refrained. We did stop at Reimer’s (of course) and had a great lunch at the River Inn as we watched the Kaweah River roar past. I didn’t get to meet you, dear reader, but, HI!! Would you mind saying hello in a comment so we can be properly introduced? :)

image

Sunday was church, an ailin’ Wild Man (third sickness in three weeks), cake baking, and a LOVELY graduation party for our sweet little friend, Ariel, who is headed to college with honors, scholarships, and the love and respect of all of us who know and love her. What a GREAT kid who will do things in the world that will make a difference. She is on the far right in this picture and Bo is in the middle:

image

Monday it was off to the doctor with The Wild Man, then the lab, the x-ray dept., and the cemetery. No, he wasn’t THAT sick but I had to approve my stepfather’s gravestone which had arrived and it was right across from where TWM got his x-rays so, I mean, why not?

In the meantime, I texted my girlfriends who were in Pismo Beach and put them on warning that I might not make it there by Tuesday, as we’d planned. I couldn’t leave a sick kiddo. But he rallied the next day and I headed there Tuesday night.

These are girlfriends I’ve known since I was about four-years-old. We remember each other’s lives like family. We are forever bonded because we survived our families, which was nothing short of miraculous. And now when we get together we talk as only we can, and we cry, but mostly, we laugh and we laugh and we laugh because each one of us used humor to get out alive and all the world is now a stage. We throw out our one-liners and crack ourselves up to the point of wheezing. I don’t even remember what hit us so incredibly funny but I wasn’t there an hour before we were in danger of asthma attacks.

I made it home Thursday night and felt I owed you all SOME explanation for being the deadbeat blogging friend I am this week and not even stopping in to say hello but, I know you understand and you know I do, too. If you get the chance to go get bit by bed bugs, take care of sick children, attend parties, and laugh and cry with childhood friends, you BETTER skip me and go.

I insist. (Well, second thought.....I don’t insist you go to the “Resort”……..)

©Copyright 2010

24 comments:

  1. Now THAT is a packed week, and it was told so well, as usual. Hope the family is now all better, and that you are having fun scratching your bites and recovering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand the laughter. I laugh out loud every day with my coffee group. Most other people wouldn't even get what we are laughing about but we are cross your legs laughing.
    Sounds like a lovely trip. And the accommodations sound special too. There is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ms. Robynn ... I have missed you !!! (and now know just one of the reasons) I'm exhausted from 'YOUR' latest adventure. I'll tell you about a week The Duck and I spent one night in a "Bates Campground" in west Texas complete with the old mansion up on the hill if you tell me all about the Resort!

    p.s. .. and the spiders, tarantulas and scorpions ... oh my!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whirlwind... glad someone else is in one too!! Your life sounds as mad as mine... but like you, those leg crossingly funny laughs with friends are just the best. Hope the person who lives in Three Rivers puts a comment in... I just LOVE it when blog land meets real world. Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whirlwind weeks are awesome.. especially when they include old friends and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robynn....whenever you are here, it is worth the wait, my friend!! A great trip you had....and I will be sure to by-pass the
    Silver City Resort if/when I am ever at Mineral King. You described it well enough for me to "just say 'no!' " :)))
    I'm thinking of your hubby...hoping that he is feeling better....I'm sorry that he's been sick...labs, x-ray...sigh. I continue to think of him.
    Welcome back, and know that no matter how long you are gone, my thoughts are with you, and I know that when you return, you'll put a smile in my heart. Take care, Robynn.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life in the fast lane indeed. You survived with a few good stories as a bonus. Friends always make whatever ails us better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does "Mineral King" and "Resort" even go hand in hand? I would have never thought of Mineral King that way. Are there two different ones?
    Anyway, so sorry about the bed bugs, yuck! And for the warning.

    Dan and I stayed at the "SANDS" in San Luis one time and "OH MY" discusting! We had to change our reservations immediately. So be aware of that one too!

    Well,at least you were able to make up for it in Pismo (well minus Jamie :( )
    Glad your back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how life gets in the way sometimes!!! We will understand...go have your fun :0)we will be here when you get back!

    Enjoy your weekend.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. You live a busy life, don't you? I was intrigued with the story of meeting your friends that you have known since such a young age. You are right, if any of us had a chance to do things we would be out the door in a flash and blog when we got back. So glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing wrong with living our lives! You take me along for whatever trips you take and I always feel I am sitting in the car riding shotgun and almost peeing my pants because of all the laughter. Its such a treat to read about your week! Hope TW man is feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even believe how busy you were this week! Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOU ALWAYS MAKE ME SMILE!!!! Oh, Rob...we don't care how often you post...we KNOW that whenever you post, it will be WONDERFUL!!! Only you would watch your statcounter, and want to shout a "hello" to an anonymous reader!!!! You are so terrific!!! What an incredibly busy week! But lots of fun...with the exception of the bugs and spiders...Bo, as always, looks beautiful...your time with friends sounds fantastic...and it makes me sooooo happy to hear all the happiness in your life!!! Sure do hope that Wild Man is feeling much much better!!! Love you so very, very much!!! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. So good to hear you're out there living it (instead of sitting behind a keyboard). Thanks for telling us about it though.
    What fun. Oh, neat pic of all the girls- bet it's a keeper that will be looked back on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun - well, apart from the bugs, therapy and spiders!!

    The World is busy enjoying life, the sun, catastrophic baking sessions and being sick too ... so we love and forgive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been dealing with life as well the loss of my best friend to Cancer in February was very hard then health issues.
    I decided to take some me time and go home to visit it was the first time I had been there since Samantha passed away I saw her husband and children it was very emotional for me.
    I spent time with my oldest and only son and my grandson and friends it was so nice:)
    Last Summer my hubby and I took up your throw down challenge and we have each lost 30 pounds and I wanted you to know how much it helped my cholesterol and diabetes and I found out eating organic is rather tasty;)(((Hugging You))) Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can so relate to the laughing until you wheeze that would be me every time.

    My husband made me laugh last night until I needed a nebulizer. He was talking about VI--EEEEE---Kneee sausages those little hot dogs in a can that look like toes.. Yep you got it..Vienna sausages. I thought I was going to die...

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness. I thought I was a busy bee. We are going camping next week. With a toddler....in a very small trailer...by a lake. I'll keep ya posted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boy, I'm beat after reading all that. Can't keep up with you! 2 days with Libby and out in this heat wore me to a frazzle! Had to rest for 2 days to recuperate. AND I tell myself I want to live to be 100! You are one funny lady!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds lovely! Other than the bed bugs, which make my skin crawl. I hope you didn't bring any home with you? Euuwwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just want to give you some extra love...hoping that things are quieting down a little for you! Love you so much! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad that wasn't my week! Sometimes I don't even know my own name or where I live, it gets that busy, and on those days it's a good thing I don't leave the house, lest I get lost!

    ReplyDelete
  23. dear Fast and faster,

    Hope you are having a little less eventful Summer by now, sounds like you had plenty of excitement!
    I love the lazy days of Summer the last few weeks. Now i am gearing up to leave on a week trip to the annual Longaberger event in Columbus OH with Daughter, baby grandson, Sis and Neice. We will have a blast i know.

    Love,
    Laughter is an instant vacation
    in
    NE

    ReplyDelete