Wednesday, May 26, 2010

He Calls Me Auntie Robynn

And he’s 16-year-old Matt Harikian, the son of dear friends of ours. The guy is amazingly talented and has been wowing us all on the piano for years. When he was little, his parents could discipline him by telling him he might lose piano privileges. I don’t think that would work in my house that well……too much “YaHOOOOing!”

He was homeschooled through eighth grade and then joined University High School for intellectually gifted and talented kids. (I love how the other students always commented, “You were homeschooled? But you’re not WEIRD!”)

A few Friday nights ago he was the featured pianist in a concert the high school gave at California State University Fresno. Each student playing in the orchestra is with the high school and they did an unbelievable job, as you’ll hear. But, of course, Matt was pure genius (I’m not prejudiced) and brought the packed concert hall to its feet for a long standing ovation when it was over.

This is a lengthy piece so it had to be split into two parts (and the second part is a huge and dynamic finish). But even if you just listen while you multi-task, it will be a rich and LOVELY 12 minutes and will make you SMILE. I sat there with my jaw hanging open as I watched him. Well, okay, I admit that’s a normal look for me but but it hung even lower than usual. The film quality doesn’t do Matt justice but the music speaks for itself. He is at the piano in the middle of the video. And the one hooting at the end of the whole thing is moi. Really. I have no sense of decorum. I actually do realize that the proper way to behave at these elite affairs is not to act like a Bohemian, cough delicately into a handkerchief with pinky upraised, clap inconspicuously with a gloved hand, and use your smelling salts if you are too overcome by Bohemians offending your senses. I exist merely to prove the rule that you can dress me up but you can't take me anywhere. I'm sorry. That's a lie. It is nearly impossible to dress me up.

Without further ado, here is Matt Harikian playing the Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor:

P.S. He’s a REALLY nice kid. :)

Part 1:

Part 2:

©Copyright 2010

27 comments:

  1. Holy Cow, girl! Matt certainly has an INCREDIBLE talent, doesn't he? This was purely and simply amazing... and completely jaw-dropping!!!

    As was your "hooting"... ;)
    But if I had been there, I would have joined right in with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S TOTALLY AMAZING!!!! I'm in complete awe!!! I've ALWAYS wanted to be able to play like that!!!!! Standing ovation. Right here...from me! Thanks Robynn!!! You fed my soul tonight with this!!! Love, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, Ben, and I all sat around listening. Amazing stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. marvelous! Thank you for this wonderful treat and for promoting that incredible talent. Give him a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful....Amazingly talented young man. Thank you for sharing this with us all Robynn. I've always enjoyed that piece by Grieg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!!! That is incredible playing, and I must say we will be hearing more about THIS young man and not just from his auntie!!!! I loved it, just absolutely loved it. Thank you so much for the incredible treat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all SO MUCH for taking the time to listen!! Reading and then listening for that long in the blog world is nearly unheard of and I am SO APPRECIATIVE! Glad you're enjoying him as much as we do! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to this while eating my usual breakfast of a bowl of Special K. It was the most lovely breakfast I've had in a long time. Thanks for sharing this very special and talented young man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always hoot and cheer loudly.. so loudly that my daughter has asked me not to... Little does she realize that we Bohemians won't be tamed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is a very impressive young man and a great representative of homeschooling of which I am a fan. Thanks for posting his performance, he's great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with everyone else here... Holy Cannoli... can that kid play piano!! Wow, just wow!!

    Thanks for letting us come celebrate a wonderful talent alongside of you!! I think his future is extremely BRIGHT especially with Auntie Robynn in his corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No wonder you were hooting. Matt has an amazing talent. I would be standing and hooting right beside you if I had been there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!!!!!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful...Matt plays with such passion for someone so young!!! He has amazing talent, hopefully it will take him where ever he wishes it to!!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful...Matt plays with such passion for someone so young!!! He has amazing talent, hopefully it will take him where ever he wishes it to!!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. Truly gifted and talented he is indeed! I would have hooted and hollered too Robynn! I love classical piano the best, very, very impressive!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Impressive! I would be a very proud "Auntie" myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "But you're not weird!" Indeed! Funny what people think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for posting this, Robynn! I enjoy your writing and Matthew is one blessed young man to have such encouraging and supportive family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool beans! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just wanted to wish my WONDERFUL friend the happiest of Memorial Day Weekends!! Love you, Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  22. Outstanding young musician!! He has an amazing future ahead of him.

    ReplyDelete