Monday, April 26, 2010

North And South


image


North: Me, on the left – location - California (Okay, yes, that IS my gray hair so there ya go…..I always said I couldn’t be fat AND gray and that is now a patently obvious lie. I have also blown my big reveal.)

South: Kate – location – Australia, author of the “Tatersmama's Take on Things” blog which you will love if you VISIT. She has been in Australia for 15 years and came home to the foothill mountains of northern California to see her son, grandkids, other family, friends, and blogging buddies. (She likes to have her picture taken about as much as I do. Consequently, this photo is an act of love on both our parts so our blogging friends could see us meeting - like when Ms. Pac Man comes out to meet Winkin’ and Blinkin’ and Nod, or whatever the heck their names are.)

This is what we REALLY wanted to put up:

image


We think it shows us to our best advantage.

My visit with Kate was shorter than I wanted because we were late. Speaking of which, here’s a riddle I made up:

Question: What happens when you show up some place early?

Answer: I have no idea.

The prevailing factor this day was Tom-Tom. She’s my husband’s other girlfriend (the first in his affections is his espresso maker, Sylvia). Tom-Tom may have a guy’s name but she’s definitely a girl and speaks with a British accent. Supposedly, her job is to navigate for us and tell us the best way to get everywhere. Due to palpable jealousy, she did her best to thwart my plans. She didn’t take us the fastest way; she took us the shortest way, which included abandoned stage coach trails, a child’s footbridge, through a living room, and finally the end of the road where we had to backpack in the last five miles.

But it was worth it. If you know Kate through blogging, I’m here to tell you, she’s the real deal. Loving, sweet with a vinegar tang, funny, and as warm as can be. She even introduced me to The Old Guy and her friend, Jenny. These people are frequent players in the dramedy of her life and actors on the stage of her blog. She had a warm and welcoming family and the setting was LUSH with verdant greens and wildflowers thanks to all the California rain. I could have stayed for a week.

It’s a funny thing when you’ve been keyboard-pals for a year-and-a-half. You bypass all those firsts and move right to sharing in the nitty-gritty of each other’s lives. We KNOW each other. Of course, there are missing elements but we were already friends in 2-D. We just added the Imax screen and our 3-D glasses. We skipped the popcorn but only because of time constraints.

Speaking of food, there are some things you need to know about hardships in Kate’s life.

This woman lives in an odd country – sorry my Australian friends but I think you’ll agree with me on this one. She cannot get Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. She cannot get Butterfingers or Dr. Pepper. And these are among her favorite foods. We could argue that these don’t fall into the REAL FOOD category and we would be right. She would agree and isn’t calling them virtuous. But that doesn’t mean she deserves to be force fed Vegemite. (Another Australian friend tells me she’s never had a Twinkie. It’s alright, Julie. When the apocalypse comes, these things will sail right through. And they have a shelf life of 5,000 years. You’ll probably get a shot.)

So I came armed with her favorite foods. She immediately ordered me to hide them from her son, like any good mother would do. I knew we were kindred spirits.

I brought my own actors from my blog stage:

image


Griz and the Wild Man – husband and son. Bo couldn’t make it. She was busy cleaning the River Parkway north of Fresno. She had gangs of fun (literally) tearing out old animal pens and rusty barbed wire while avoiding a baby rattlesnake.

In the photo below, you can see where Tom-Tom tried to dump me on an old miner’s trail: Mark Twain’s Cabin at Jackass Hill. This effort contained a complete lack of subtlety.

image

Writing didn’t pay that well, apparently, by the looks of the cabin. (Must have been a lot like blogging.) But Mark Twain’s first book was inspired here, “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County,” and, like a few famous bloggers we all know, sometimes you get that big break and find your place on the map. I’m just hoping I can work up to a cabin like this one of these days. I might be able to afford this level of luxury. Somethin’ tells me fame and a size 8 will be forever elusive. I have a body made for radio.


image

But I’ve got this strapping guy to look after me in my old age, which, near as I can tell, should be here in about three hours.

image

So Kate, it was great, and I thank you. Now when I read your blog I will see you and think of you the same way you can now see and think of me.

From the forehead up.



©Copyright 2010

34 comments:

  1. Love the photos; and how neat to be able to meet an online friend! Looks like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, I am always the early one. It is my one big issue. (sure I just have one)
    I hate having my photo taken. Not being vain but oh my word they turn out bad. You guys are awesome.
    I love how our blog friends are usually so real. How we really gravitate to the ones who compliment our own personalities.
    I have met a few and they are exactly how they are on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so, so jealous!
    And, Oh Raving One...you forgot about CRISCO (which she has to buy in sex shops over there). Yes they are an odd odd bunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Robynn...I haven't laughed so hard in such a very, very long time! You are hilarious! Tom-Tom, huh? Your riddle? Your photos? Your favorite foods...Oh, you are in RARE FORM, my dear friend! I think you must have had a fabulous time! BTW, I also think your gray/white hair is GORGEOUS! Oh, to have such style! I think you are going to have to drop that "radio face" one liner! Doesn't suit you :-) Have I told you lately that you are a gifted writer and humorist? You are! And Kate is simply delightful...I can't even begin to imagine how much fun you had! What a dynamic duo you two are! Love you so very, very much! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is so cool that Katie went all the way back home to catch up with you. You created a wonderful mental picture for me of your (mis)adventures, so funny! Hey, the hair looks great by the way - I don't know why you were so worried.
    So Twinkies are basically indestructable and non-biodegradable, eh? Maybe they could use them somehow for a lunar landing mission? Anyhoo, glad you had a great time,

    Joolz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay Gray girl...it's beautiful!!
    So happy for you to have had this special meeting, one you'll both cherish for a long time.
    Take care dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jealous, too. I know ya'll had a great time visiting. Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with Janine, your blend of gray-blonde is stunning! What a fun adventure despite Tom-Tom's attempts to derail you on finding your destination. Thanks for the ridiculously fun romp through a day in your world! Sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your hair --it looks like a beautiful platinum shade! "C" and I have only met one blogging friend--it was Sandra of Add Humor and Faith. We had dinner out and had the best time! She was delightful and if we ever get up to Indiana--who knows, we'll probably call her up! "C" and I have been discussing having a little blogging get together (not quite a convention!!!) maybe next year. It would be great to meet even more blogging friends in person! We attended the first Blissfully Domestic blogging convention a couple of years ago and had a great time even though we were the oldest there, except for one other woman!!! Maybe babyboomers need their own meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, that hair is COOL! Nice pictures, and what a great story of bloggers come together because of our ability to know each other virtually, then actually. I love your joke, I am also always early so it took me a minute, but then I really laughed. And your story about twinkies is true, I understand. My new favorite snack are frozen blueberries, but I've been a fan of those peanut butter cups for decades!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey!! Sounds like fun! You guys look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great day ... so happy you got to meet in real life! Love the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You both are two of my favorite bloggers, and I wanted so badly to be there meeting you. But it just wasn't meant to be!

    Love your pictures--love your hair color.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to read Kate's blog...now!

    I.Love.Your.Hair! I dreamed I'd shaved mine so I wouldn't have to go through the growing out stage! The only problem? I had to stay in the house for 6 months until it grew out completely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't care what they say, blog friends are REAL friends. This sounds like a pre-ordained friendship. BTW Vegemite lasts forever as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful Robynn! I would love to meet many of my blogging buddies. Despite Tom Tom's sabotage it sounds like you had a great time.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great hair, great photos, sounds as though you all had a great time!!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit at PitterpatandStickycat! I LUV your blog!! I am def. following you. I think quite possibly we might be distantly related as your humour has some of the definitive tones of the King family humour very blatantly ringing through your post! I bow to your incredible sarcasm & wit!! Glad you had such a wonderful time with your fam. and friends.
    Happy Monday:)

    BTW thanks for the news about AU--Officially OFF my list of places I dream of visiting!! No Butterfingers OR Dr. Pepper?????

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post - and I'm not referring to the one holding up the old barn!

    Love your hair - very cool... As for all those foods you mention, apart from Dr. Pepper, I've never ever had any of them! Sob!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like a worhtwhile meeting. Good pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you blew your big reveal! I would do that.

    The pictures are awesome (love your hair). I'm so glad you had a good time.

    It has truly been one of the biggest blessings of blogging for me - meeting people that I NEVER would have met otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! How cool that you got to make that trip. All the pics are great. No worries about anything.

    Appreciate your comment at my blog about Eva's feature too.

    Lynn
    http://www.middayescapades.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your hair (even if...especially?...cuz it's gray). Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like you had a wonnderful time! Great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would settle for a size 10. But it isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey, it's Fruitcake Sandy from a Lil Ole Texas ... it's kinda, sorta South ... perhaps not as much as Australia, though. Robyn, I'm happy that I pulled myself out of the nether-land (AKA post new grandchild, post surgery, post ???) Anywho ... I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more and thoroughly enjoyed this posting .. and "meeting" dear Katie as well. Thank you for sharing ... one of these days ... you know the drill. Have you seen the Mosquito's latest post. My cup runnth over ...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been out of the habit of reading blogs for the past few...several months, due to time constraints. Okay, I'll be honest, I've become a facebook addict, but the point is, I'd forgotten how hysterically funny you are! Are you that funny in real life? Do you keep your family in stitches the way you do your readers, or are they used to you? You are even funnier than Erma Bombeck, God rest her soul!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how our blog friends are usually so real. How we really gravitate to the ones who compliment our own personalities.
    post free classified ads

    ReplyDelete
  29. Renna, that is HIGH praise. Erma was one of my very favorites years ago and it was HUGE to lose her!

    And yes, I'm just hysterically funny and charge my family a cover charge when they come in the door. :) I dispensed with the two drink minimum, however, for the kids. They weren't getting enough work done around here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey girl,I've got even more pics to share! If I can find my darn camera in all the goodies I brought home with me, that is. I'm sad to report though... Josh found my stash, and I found an empty Butterfingers wrapper stuffed imside my shoe. Blatent, eh? I found an even better hidey hole though, so I'm enjoying some Reeses for breakfast, even as I write this. ;)
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, HOW AMAZING to see you guys properly!! I LOVE you both...and look forward to the day when I can meet you too!! xx (photos were great... even those foreheads of yours. )

    ReplyDelete