Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm Not Dead....Pretty Much


And I haven't been doing anything resembling much of this, either. You thought I was going to tell you I've whipped my house into shape didn't you? I mean, I try. I really do. But it's like bailing out the ocean with a thimble.

So what did I do on my summer vacation this winter?

Did I take care of my innards? I think the answer to this would be, "Yes," if by "take care of" I mean I saw to it that they stayed mostly inside my abdominal cavity. I feel I have been successful at that. I have not found my liver, spleen, or alternator just laying around anywhere. I haven't gone to McDonald's or Taco Bell. But if you mean I ate extremely well and juiced everyday then the answer gets hazier. Like Erica Kane's face (All My Children) as they film her through the years.

Ever notice that? I don't watch this soap opera anymore. I quit about ten years ago when I started choking on their political agenda. But I had watched it from the beginning. And whenever I happen to come across it in these past ten years I always notice that Erica is heavily filtered through a hazy lens. I can barely make out her features to be sure it's her. I know they're trying to keep the illusion of youth alive but it makes me feel incredibly old because my sight seems to be going each time she appears on screen.

I'll try to stick to the subject: Not being dead.

This morning as I laid, lied, lay, lie, lain, (the correct tense never sounds right to me and is my participle past, present, or dangling? Has it been dangling all day and no one told me?).....let's just go with "assumed a supine position in bed," and tried to add up everything that's been ailing me and keeping me from more than four or five hours of sleep every night. But by the time I approached the end of the list, I forgot my reason for counting. When I remembered why, I couldn't recall the point of the exercise. And you can be grateful for that little fact, my overtaxed readers.

I do know I can't sit for an extended period of time because I injured my tailbone and sitting is certainly a vital part of blogging. I remember this salient fact each time I park it. Which is frequently. Almost all of our homeschooling is on the computer.

Also, life hasn't felt very funny since my stepfather's death. We weren't especially close but my mom needs me a lot now and that's its own fresh challenge and excitement in the way climbing Mt. Everest in my bikini - with my current body and photographers all around - would be a fresh challenge filled with excitement. My only cheerful thought would be a timely plummet from a slippery precipice. However, by God's grace I am coping and seem to be some help, so I continue to tie off and use my safety gear, against my better judgment.

The other issue that is ever before me is the simple fact that writing attracts readers. And when readers come, readers who usually have blogs themselves, I like to visit back. And I can't right now. So that makes me feel greedy and makes me hesitate to write.

My solution is to absolve all of you from any obligatory visits and know that I will write and post here simply to remember what in the world I did with my life, when I look back someday. Feel free to stop in if you want to or skip me entirely. I will pop in to your places from time-to-time because I SERIOUSLY ENJOY reading about your lives. But I can't figure out how to have time for everything.

I am considering pulling down the 30 Day blog and simply accepting that combining the info here will be more in keeping with how I live my life - everything overlapping and mushed together. I don't think I can maintain two blogs and do them any justice.

And I have to finish ripping the wallpaper off my bathroom wall and repainting. Grizzly calls the current motif, "Late World War II." That's generous.

All I can offer, I suppose, is a stark comparison for you. Lay your inconsistencies against mine, consider the shadow your figure casts, gaze about your gracious abodes, and come away feeling incredibly successful, sane, and lovely.

To warp a borrowed epigram, I cannot be a good example but I happily offer myself as a terrible warning.

Hello again and thank you for all your kind wishes and inquiries. Really. You ARE the best. WHAT are you DOING here?


© Copyright 2010

30 comments:

  1. Robynnn...don't ever hesitate to write..please. You are sooo good at it. I am thinking of you as you have necessary things to take care of. You are doing exactly the right thing, my friend. All who read you and have followed you aren't going anywhere. We'll be right here.
    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What am I doing here? Why jumping over to your blog as soon as it showed up on my feed, of course. Have missed you my friend! Sounds like you are up to your eyebrows in alligators right now. Hang in there and stop by AdkView when you can, but absolutely no pressure. I am down to writing only about every week or so now. Have been coughing and sneezing most of the winter it seems. So here's to both of us and to the future ... when we have a bit more time to write. Luv ya Pal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been missed! But no worries about coming to visit. Its just good to read your words and hear your "voice" and know that you are well and off living your life. Take care of yourself! Love ya Robynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the other posters. I enjoy reading your blog and have been concerned about you lately. I, too have been a bit lax of late. I spend way too much time on Facebook or I'd have more time to blog. I need to get my priorities in order. Please don't worry about coming to my blog either. Just write so I can read yours. I think that may be a bit selfish but it is what it is. Take care of your family and write when you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robynn

    Yeah, just glad to hear your alive and kicking! Feel no pressure to write an epic each time you blog to us, just do day to day stuff. What have you been cooking/mincing/juicing lately? How about some pictures? Perhaps a week in review piece. How's that Mt Everest climb coming along and ... what colour was that bikini again?
    Do take care of yourself and I hope your tailbone comes good soon. That must be a real pain in the a@s!

    PS - good to see you on the top of my bloglist again! :)

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, she's still alive and kicking! So glad to see that you can write in a supine position. What talent, my friend!

    I will always be happy to read your posts whenever you get around to them.

    Keeping you in my prayers. Right along with ya' on the death of a family member thing. Hang in there.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny used to say, "The lord never gives us more then we can handle."
    Of course Granny could be wrong. Who knows.
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am here cause I love ya and I wanna be! Simple as that!

    Oh, and I have been through it with my mom. TWICE. The first time when my Dad died 10 years ago. Then again when her Jim died a year and a half ago.

    I didn't like it any better the second go round than I did the first. But hey, she's my Mama and says she can still beat me if'n she wants to. And I reckon she would be correct since I doubt I could out run her without throwing my back out again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so much fun to read. I'm glad you are writing, whether you have time to visit or not. I do know what you mean though.

    Saying a prayer for you and your mom.

    Have a blessed week Robynn. I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thrilled when I saw my RSS feed show a new posting. How nice it was to sit a spell and read.
    Combining your blogs is a very good idea. Maintaining two is the pits in my opinion. I know, I've tried it before back earlier on in my blogging. So not worth it.
    I ROFL with your descriptions of Erica Kane.
    Take care dear dear friend. It's blessing to hear the the Lord is enabling you to meet your mom at some level along the way.
    Much love XOXOXOXO Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I a glad to know that you are not Dead! I've missed you. I've worried about you!

    I am so very glad to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you took time to write, and trust me I would be happy to read your blog even if you never drop by mine.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robynn, you told us you would have a hiatus, and I've noticed that a lot of people get overwhelmed when they start a second blog. Combine them. It's easier for me to have one rather than two pop up in Reader anyway. But you are LOVED and appreciated from this end! I hope you know that, no pressure to do anything except let me know you are okay...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to read whatever you write. And don't feel obligated to visit my blog. I'm not doing much there myself.
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hang in there! I'm so glad you're ok, I was really worried. God gives us strength for the day, although honestly, sometimes the only way we know that is because we remind ourselves every 3 seconds. Your writing cracks me up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do I CARE if you post often? No.
    Do I come here in hopes that you'll reciprocate and come on over and check out my latest pearls of wisdom? No.
    Do I want ANYTHING from you, other than to know that you're still alive and kicking (okay, "somewhat" kicking, but maybe more dangling with your participles.) No, no and no.

    I've just come to offer to slip some toast under the door. (sorry about the cat hairs though. Damn cats are moulting) It will have to be toast, because the juice just didn't work so well.

    I LOVE you, my friend, so hang (dangle?) in there. Oh... and say hello to your liver for me.
    :-)
    xoxoxoxox

    ps. Thank you for not being dead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you're still around. You write when you can, I'm not going anywhere.
    www.what-comes-next.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been stumbling through life right now as well. I really don't have an excuse but I can't seem to get my act together.

    I am glad you posted. I was just thinking about you while I made dinner. (Really lame Amy's No Chicken Noodle Soup.)

    I will be thinking good thoughts for you and hope we can both get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well we are here because we love reading you. Don't woryy about the lack of commenting on other's blogs - real life takes over and that is a priority. I know, I have had the same thing happen to me. Time is a precious commodity - use it well. Your mama needs you right now, come back when life is less frantic and kinder to you. God bless. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love you! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank goodness you're here! I was so worried something had happened - well, something else, I mean... Do keep on writing here: rather that and no visits than this long long silence! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Robynn- I'm so sorry liver pain. However it does make for interesting readin'. And on the upside- it gives you something to blog about.
    Me- not so lucky (?) Having a hard time coming up with much, but I guess I'll have to try harder. Not that I would hurt myself or anyone, but damn- an ambulance ride is good stuff!
    Enjoyed your blog- can't imagine why I haven't read it before this!
    Do alligators really bite you?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, a 'terrible warning'!!! Giggled my way through that ... oh, darling Robyn, just keep writing. To hell with commenting on anyone else's blog... as long as we can come and visit, that'll do me. Lovely to see you up and about, as it were... must be hell being down and around what with your painful derriere of yours...and SO sympathise with the sleep thing, how awful it is not to get a full quota of rest. Hope that improves soon. Masses of love. As ever xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved the chuckles you gave me tonight!
    And say, if you've been to my two blogs lately, you'll notice they've been sorta neglected, too! Life happens and we have to deal with it, eh?

    I'm just glad to hear you're doing OK!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was actually thinking about you the other day, wondering how you were. I am glad to know that you are still in the land of the living.

    My prayers will be with you for restored health, it is so very difficult when you have health issues that linger and cause constant pain. It is no fun.

    As always you insight into everyday things and you perspective is always amusing and gives me a wonderful laugh. The visual of a bikini clad trip up mount everest is just to vivid.

    You ROCK! Even if you are not feeing well...

    A gold star from me this morning!!
    Blessings
    R

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love coming here and reading whatever it is you have decided to write about. But more than anything I am so glad you are feeling well enough to blog again.

    Please don't feel like to must write, but do know you have been missed and are very much loved by those of us who have gotten to know you.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been checking up on you and so glad you have had time to write.

    Love reading your blog, and I woefully neglect mine all the time.

    Many Blessings
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  28. I went back to work outside the home after being at home with my own work schedule for 20+ years. Full time M-F.
    I am struggling to keep up with my blog friends and posting and replying and creating and eating.
    I will do my best as will you. We have worked really hard to create our blogs and we shouldn't give up on them because we can't visit as much as we would like.
    I so love your writing. Please don't feel obligated. I find I will drop a blog that rarely posts rather than one that posts but doesn't visit.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just what I needed to start my day...a big belly laugh. OH Raving One - you never disappoint.
    AND BTW - I'm so glad that you ain't dead yet:-)

    ReplyDelete