Thursday, October 29, 2009

Rich Text

And not the html kind.

Scold me if you want to but I have to tell you something.

I live in California.

We aren’t supposed to talk on our cell phones without a Bluetooth device while we are driving. That doesn’t work too well for me as is evidenced by THIS post.

We aren’t supposed to text and drive.


image


I think both rules are good ones.

And I also think rules are made to be broken occasionally, otherwise, we wouldn’t have gravity. Is that clear now?

I broke a rule. I checked a text and I sent a text. While in a car. As the driver. In my own defense, I was on private property – the church where my son has choir - and hadn’t yet entered the “no phone zone.” I was sitting at a stoplight ready to exit the church property when a text came in. Much is going on right now with my stepfather’s issues and so I looked. It was a dear friend and I could have decided to look later, but I didn’t. I flipped open my phone, read a kind and supportive message, and typed a two word reply. I was on the last two letters of my reply when my son said, “The light is green.”

Instead of beginning my entrance into the intersection, I finished those letters (because no one was behind me), pressed ‘send,’ and then looked up to proceed – these three actions took three seconds.

Just at that moment as I was removing my foot from the brake, a car came careening through the intersection at 50 mph running a red light. It came from around a curve to my left and I would have never seen it. Very likely it would have killed me and possibly my son. I almost always look left and right before I proceed because this is THE craziest state for people who push to make it through the yellow light. The guy couldn’t have been pushing. It had been red too long. He never saw it, would be my take. And my looking left and right wouldn’t have revealed him to me because of the angle of the road.

My son’s jaw dropped and he said, “Do you realize that text message just saved our lives?!” And I got chills, and then tears. He was exactly right. I proceeded through the intersection and then had to pull over. It wasn’t my day, our day, to die. It wasn’t the other driver’s day to die.

I’m not advocating the flagrant flaunting of rules. These two are especially good. It’s just that all our actions fall under a higher set of rules and our days and times are ordered.

While I was pulled over, I called my friend and told her, tearfully, what had just transpired. She got chills because she almost didn’t send the message. She had sent one about ten minutes earlier and then got busy with the house, the dogs, etc. But something kept working at the back of her mind to send the second text. And that was the one.

It could be argued that had I not responded to the text I may have been more aware. And that is a possibility. But I don’t think so. My head has been elsewhere with all that’s going on and I’m not at the top of my highly attenuated driving game. I think I needed something to stop me for a few life-changing moments.

Don’t worry, though. I will presume this was a once-in-a-lifetime event where the phone is concerned and won’t be driving while under the influence of texting. I think the real text message from the One who cares about us the most was, “Wake up!” And that one, I’m answering.



© 2009

34 comments:

  1. As I started to read I was sure you were going to comment on Mrs Schwarzenegger's recent episodes first with talking on a cellphone while driving and then for driving in a lane she wasnt supposed to be in ..

    BUT you didnt ... and this post is a good reminder .... not to just NOT talk or text while driving or even sitting at a stop sign/red light but to always proceed with caution because you really cant trust the other guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe there's a reason for everything, and I think right there in that church parking lot, God was giving you a little nudge - to keep you in place just a little longer.
    Now I certainly don't advocate texting and driving, but hun, I'm sure glad you took the time to answer that text!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over here in England texting and phoning in the car is actually illegal, though youcan use bluetooth. I wouldn't do it myself but lots of people do and they get away with it. It's suppose3d to be illegal to drive without having 2 hands available for thesteering wheel - e.g. eating, smoking - but I don't know if that's true. To be honest I think it's even more distracting holding a convrsation with passengers. I doubt if they can ever police that!

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sent chills thru me. I'm with you, God was watching and he was whispering in every ear. Glad you and your friend were listening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I loved this post! I was once in San Diego driving a curvy road that I drove everyday. There is one hairpin turn that I usually tried to Nascar my way through, but one day, I just had the overwhelming feeling to slow WAY down. I truly was at a crawl when I entered that turn and there was a semi barreling toward me IN MY LANE. I pulled to the shoulder and he got himself to about the middle of the road when we passed each other. I made it through the turn, pulled off and audibly thanked God for saving my life. In my own power/will I would have NEVER driven like I did; He saved my life that day. I'll never forget it!

    I'm glad you got the text, answered it and shared it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible. God is so Good and He makes Himself known in so many ways. He knows your family and friends need you!

    Blessings
    B.J.Brooks
    (Robinson)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God! I am so very glad that you and your son are OK!

    I love it when God connects with us in the impactful moments.

    Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do believe in Divine intervention. I'm glad that you are safe, Robynn. Many hugs to you my new friend.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure God could have been saying wake up, and I think it's also very possible, given all that you are going thru, that He wants you to know how dearly He cares about every detail of your life. It's on purpose, you, are on purpose and a very important part of the biggest picture He has. Thank God for His intervention in your life.

    love you friend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just reading that gave me the chills! I am so glad you are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Texting while driving scares the bejesus out of me. And I have an obituary on my fridge from the mother of my oldest son's friend who was killed pulling out into traffic because she didn't see the SUV hidden beside the 18 wheeler that was making a right turn. I made every one of my kids study it and deliver flowers "in memoriam" to that intersection when I was teaching them to drive. There are idiots out there, and you were very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For whatever reason you were spared, I do thank God for that. It wasn't your time. Or your son's time. But it takes a very special person to think about what happened, examine it, and write it down for others to learn from. That's why I am so proud to call myself one of your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! How scary!! And thank goodness! Yes, I believe in the ordering of the universe as well. So often we don't pay attention to the subtle signs coming our way, but so glad you got a really big message to pay attention to!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you're okay. Gosh, I can barely talk and drive, much less text.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness what a story! Providence! Praise God for His protection!

    Sandy
    Plano, TX

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is not a coincidence at all. It is divine protection. Many years ago I either read something or there was a discussion about if we could only see the numerous things in the spiritual realm that we are protected from, through Jesus interceding for us and sending angels to safeguard us.

    I never forgot the gist of it and wished i could find this again.

    God had his hand on you both to stay. I am so glad that you are alright!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a story. Glad you and your son are okay. I've had a few scrapes in m time where I realised I was lucky to have escaped unscathed. It leaves you shaken but eternally grateful. Perhaps you have a driving angel, let's hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were saved! I really believe you were. You are right your angels were with you and your son. I am so glad that you followed the nudge and stayed right where you were! I am so glad you are both here on the earth to share with each other and us the light that you are!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. nothin like a little good timin to save a life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. What a close call! I am feeling a little shaky just thinking about it. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am SO glad you took the time to finish the text!!! I truly have chills....

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW!I believe everything happens for a reason.I'm so glad that your friend gave in and sent that last text and glad that you answered it!God was watching over you for sure!!
    Be careful girl! Have you in my thoughts and prayers! Hugs...

    Keep on Truckin

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've got chills now and I'm so thankful that you took the time to finish that text before going thru that light. That was most definitely divine intervention! Smiles to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man! I caught your chills!

    Those moments of divine intervention are something, aren't they? I experienced something today (on a slightly less scary level) that had me praising God!!

    I am so thankful that you and your son were safe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. God has a reason and purpose for everthing that happens in your life and it is not by coinsidence when people come into your life embrace every day.
    This is what I believe and know your never alone.Hugs Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Doesn't it thrill you to know that God has his eye on you every minute of every day?! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm with Tatersmama.
    This gave me chills. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad you took the time to answer that text. Your post gave me the shivers! I agree God was looking out for you too! I've been MIA for awhile, crazy life, but hope to get caught up with everyone soon. Have a GREAT week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that's amazing!

    It's not illegal to text and drive here, I think. I do try not to while I'm actively driving, but I have to sit in a lot of traffic...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow.
    Wow.
    Our kids are on those roads. *sigh*
    God is our forcefield.
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow - what an amazing story! And I'm so glad that you guys are alright!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good grief, I am very happy for you that it all worked out well. Would have certainly sent shivers down my spine, too. I am sorry to hear about your stepfather. I wish you strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete