Friday, July 31, 2009

Positive Day

Today is officially "Positive Day." It was started by this little 12-year-old girl known to her mother as "Diva Daughter." You can find them at Dust Bunny Hostage.

This is what Diva Daughter has to say about "Positive Day:"

POSITIVE DAY

"I first started thinking about this day because I feel like some people are very negative about things that they don't have to be. So I am going to tell you some of the things that I feel positive about and thankful for.

I am very thankful to have a family like mine. My family loves me! I am positive about my friends too. My friends are always there for me. That is one of the reasons I am glad that we moved. If we hadn't, I wouldn't have met some of the friends that I have now. And I am very positive about God and Jesus. I am so glad that I will be in Heaven one day. So on Positive Day, I think people should think about the good things in life. Thank you for being a part of it!!"

This was her idea, not her mom's and this is the symbol she chose to describe her outlook on life:

How can you say no to a face and child like this? I can't so I decided to participate. I drafted my kids, too. Here are some things we feel positive about:

1. Robynn: I am positive I hate housework.....wait.....I may not be in the spirit of this thing. Let me start over.

2. I am BLESSED to have two teenagers who I would prefer to hang out with over anybody, except Grizzly, at any given moment. They are wise and witty and love me unconditionally. Add two dogs into the mix and I have more than I deserve, by FAR.

3. I have real-life friends and blog friends - and the two are blending more frequently - who regularly bless me in so many ways. I could never have imagined any of this eight months ago.

4. I have a husband who braves the heat, hard economic times, and hard physical work to support his family everyday.

5. I have deep assurance that God has his hand on our lives and our comings and goings. I know nothing happens to us that He is not aware of. I know I am the only one surprised by what happens in life. He already has a plan. I can rest in that and in who we all are in Him and TO Him. Even when I'm afraid. Even when medicine alters my thought processes while it poisons me. I quaver. I tremble. He doesn't.

1. Bo’s Comments: Every birthday we all get to spend together is a big deal. No one ever knows how long they will live or where life will take them. Right now, we're all together and we have to appreciate it.

2. The song "Like a Cloak" by Joey Ryan is a happy, sweet song that I'm loving right now.......some lines from the song:

"Since you've been around, honey, it feels just like a cloak has been wrapped around me, and nothin’ could ever go wrong,

“Since you’ve been around, honey, it feels like a thousand stones have been lifted off me, I’ve never felt so strong.

The CD just has five songs but the whole thing has an upbeat feeling and leaves me smiling.

3. A few nights ago I hung out with my girlfriends and we had no particular place to go. Just talked, and walked, and ate, and talked some more. All our lives have come to the crossroads yet we’re staying together and connected.

1. The Wild Man Speaks: I have lots of friends and I realize I take a lot for granted. I need to pay attention more to what good things I get to enjoy that some other people may not get to.

2. Good parents that spend time with me and care about me. And I ALWAYS make my mom laugh and that makes me happy. Even when she’s tryin’ to lecture me I can bust her up. =D

3. I’m glad I’m homeschooled. I have lots of opportunities and I’m not limited. It gives me a lot more options.

Robynn here again……

I wanted the kids to participate because it’s good for all of us to think about things. I HAVE to add that my kids got me through a very rough week after a reaction to medicine for the ear infection/tooth thing that isn’t quite over yet. They sat up late with me, loved on me, petted me, spoke comforting words, and Bo even researched whatever help she could find on the internet. Truly, I have so much. I have deep sympathy for those who struggle alone.

And as a last thought……Bo got up before me and headed out to get me Starbucks this morning. And TWM rarely passes me that he doesn’t reach out and pat me as he goes by with the words, “Pretty Mama.”

Now really, do I NEED anything else?

Copyright 2009

29 comments:

  1. Next to the gift of God's love and salvation, the love of a family is one of our greatest blessings! Very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Robynn, I truly enjoyed it. And indeed, we have so much to be thankful for, each and every day, over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diva Daughter, you had a wonderful idea that all of us can benefit from doing! Kudos to you for running with the idea Robynn. I loved reading each person's take and its obvious family and friends are at the heart of your life with God guiding you all! Love to you all today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for praying for my daughter, Abby.

    RiggsFamilyBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I know I am the only one surprised by what happens in life." Now why did tears spring to my eyes when I read that?

    Robynn, I am thrilled that you participated (my little girl looks just as sweet here as she does at my place :D ). The fact that you got your family involved and you all shared something positive? You have absolutley made my day.

    Thank you Robynn. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea from such a wise young lady.

    i tire of all the negative talk. we have SO much to be grateful for and when we focus on that it can change everything.

    loved your post. it's obvious that you've raised some incredible kids too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kids are so smart and spot on with what they value!

    Happy Positive Day!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely lovely post. Made me smile and get a bit teary too! Gratitude is truly a blessing in itself... those who are grateful have so much. Even when its not much.
    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm positive... that this is an excellent post.

    Thanks for being such a creative and insightful blogger, Robynn. You really are a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's lovely...what a great way to process things.

    I am working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm positive I love reading your blog. Ü

    ReplyDelete
  12. #1 made me laugh
    and the rest are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friends and family are so precious. That's neat that your kids participated as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made 2 loaves of banana bread this morning and lately I have been decluttering the garage and house giving away everything we dont use it is hard to do but I know I will enjoy the clutter free garage and house when the project is complete:)Hugs Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post Robynn...you are truly blessed, such wonderful children...but...I think they are truly blessed with such a wonderful pretty Mama!!!!!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Here are some wonderful thoughts about turning negatives into positives...

    "Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire.
    If you did, what would there be to look forward to?

    Be thankful when you don't know something.
    For it gives you the opportunity to learn.

    Be thankful for the difficult times.
    During those times you grow.

    Be thankful for your limitations.
    Because they give you opportunities for improvement.

    Be thankful for each new challenge.
    Because it will build your strength and character.

    Be thankful for your mistakes.
    They will teach you valuable lessons.

    Be thankful when you're tired and weary.
    It means you've made a difference.

    It's easy to be thankful for the good things.
    A life of rich fulfillment
    comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.

    Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive.
    Find a way to be thankful for your troubles and they can become your blessings."

    By John Kaiser

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Pretty mama" -- that's just so so sweet :-) You're a good guy, Hunter.
    Lori
    (really sorry about the medication reaction!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm here from Jen's linky.

    How cool that your family contributed their positive thoughts too!

    Happy Positive Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this positive post! Especially your number 5 -- me too! So thankful God has His hand in our live. If it were just us then it would be chaos, but with Him it is chaos with a purpose, at least I pray that is true!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it the best when your son calls you pretty? Currently, that's how old Monkey thinks I am. (Daddy is "really really old like 15"...I much prefer to be pretty).

    It's so nice to think about all the things we have to be thankful for~great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful idea and what a fantastic daughter you have. There is no reason to go through the day stewing about what we don't have. It is the joy we bring to life and pass on to our family and others that makes living worthwhile.

    Bless all of you and your family Robynn.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful thoughts from all of you. I'll add that my positive thoughts are that I know I'm right where I'm supposed to be at this time in my life. I'm in fairly good health, have a job I enjoy and my dear kids and grandkids. thanks to Diva Daughter for kicking this off and to Robynn, Bo and TWM for adding your thoughts. Great post, Robynn!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, it's so important to take some time to really take stock of our blessings. Glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent Positive List. It was beautiful. And to get your family involved was awesome :) Happy Positive Day 2009 and Aloha :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Be thankful for your limitations.
    Because they give you opportunities for improvement

    love that I am going to borrow it from one of your comments!

    Thats a great post--should be a weekly thing :)

    di di tell you to come to my etsy shop and order a 3 pc special for your charity contact me at email@gingerlouise.com thx laura
    and thanks for all the lovely comments

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yup, your son's right. You are a pretty mama--pretty in all ways!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear BODY - if you haven't heard yet Robynn twitted she's officially done being sick. The front door is open and she's waiting to close it behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a "POSITIVELY" wonderful post!
    Everyday should be positive day.

    ReplyDelete