Friday, May 1, 2009

Something Wicked That Way Went............


I understand some of you are wanting to know the rest of the story of Max the Menace. It's pretty brief so I'll just call it an epilogue.

Before Max shared his breakfast with me, as it were, we had added another ball python from the collection of an aged herpetologist who became too long in the fangs to care for the snakes he had acquired. Now we had two. We enjoyed our foray into this serpentine world as part of our animal craziness and endless search to appreciate God's creatures which, yes Eddie Bluelights, included spiders.

Our biggest event came when the snake cage lid was left unsecured one night. Both snakes regularly tested its strength and would nose and push against it. That perseverance paid off one evening after we had all gone to bed. The two of them slithered their way to freedom. Our second snake was located fairly quickly the next morning but Max evaded us. Every corner was investigated and all dark places were illuminated. Max was not to be found. We could only surmise he had somehow escaped through an open window or door and headed for more heavily infested rat pastures.

About a month later, while beginning to divest ourselves of rats altogether (Jack - our dear and friendly rat companion had eaten his last piece of cheese - and Jill lived on to spite him), we were moving cages and cleaning in the garage. As Grizzly moved a panel pushed tightly against one wall, there, to our astonished eyes, lay Max. He was coiled comfortably in between a couple of two-by-fours and was living in the wall. Apparently, he had followed the vibrations emanating from the constant scurrying of the rats in the cages and planted himself near a ready food source. Unable to actually access the source of the vibration, he had hunkered down much like a starving urchin child in front of a bakery window. How he navigated his way there will remain a mystery for the ages but we were all glad he had returned if for no other reason than to know where he was at night! We had no concerns for our safety. (No one in this family is in danger of being lightweight enough to become a snake meal.) But, nevertheless, one does not like to imagine the feel of slithering glacial skin gliding against your leg under the bedcovers.

Not long after, it was decided we had exhausted our snake adventures and were ready to move on. We found a worthy home for both our reptile friends, divested ourselves of rats, and closed the chapter of comfortably draped snakes and undigested rodents. No more would I sit at the computer feeling shoulder massages or lurching warnings. But our animal adventures were far from over. And, knowing us, it's quite likely we'll find ourselves boarding a hippopotamus or crocodile. (And I know you'll believe me when I tell you I actually DO have a hippopotamus story.......!)

Happy "Tails" to you!



Copyright 2009

27 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for this wonderful adventure on the wild side!!! I have thoroughly enjoyed my safari!!! You are a delightful storyteller!!! Thank you for allowing me to tag along! Love you...Have a great weekend! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. !!! Quite glad I just have the chickens, rabbit and cats!!! You tell it so well. More please!!X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing out Loud...I know that's not terribly original, but it sums up what I'm doing right now. I had friends with snakes growing up and loved to hold them and Jen had two pet rats when she was little...people thought that was weird...actually it was, but somehow we can get used to weird things! They made great pets, and I guess food too! Not mine but yours! I'm so glad I can call you friend. If I were Native American I'd call you "Friend Who Makes Me Laugh". Uuuggg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what will be next, a porcupine? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are to funny girl and quite entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, a fitting end. I was concerned when you mentioned the wall, but that sneaky snake must have known a thing or two about survival :) Can't wait to hear all the other exciting animal adventures you are going to take us on!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I will have be having nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robynn I don't think I'll be coming to spend the night with you anytime soon.. outta fear that you might tell me later that night that Max was truely a Maxine and she most likely had hundreds of babies while hunkered down in between those 2 x 4's. Love You .. Love the Story.. but hate, fear, cringe at, run from for dear life at the sighting of the main character and anything related to him lol. I can't believe I actually read both pieces and laughed my tail off while reading em. Thanks for the laughs girlfriend.. and thanks for the compliments on my lil projects I posted .. Have a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were just talking about the time my son had some kind of reptile that ate crickets...and one day he ended up dropping the crickets on the floor,which low and behold, some went down the radiator...We heard crickets throughout the house for MANY weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad they both got good homes ... even if they are snakes. :-) Thanks for the quick closure (I'm so needy that way).
    Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Fangs aint what they used to Be!" I reckon your Max had a very high IQ. He worked out where to ambush the rats all by himself - wonderful! Mickey would say, "Whose a clever boy!" But Max still didn't tell you why he was sick of rats! in the last story.
    Could we have another story to explain this please? Go into the gory details if you wish - I'm an ambulance man.
    Great story and thank you kind lady for your link to my site. Highly honoured! BFN (note a new heiroglyphic meaning Bye For Now) Eddie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad the rat/snake storytime is over. I feel queasy. But I still love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How interesting! I grew up on a farm in Oregon. One afternoon while hanging out the wash on the clothesline, a garter snake slithered through the grass and across my foot. I think our nearest neighbor (1/2 mile away) was able to hear my screams!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I join the chorus of voices that are delighted the 'snake' tail is over. Like Homestay Mama I have had a snake slither across my foot as well ... don't know how far my screams reverberated, but I do know that he/she was one lucky critter that it didn't drown on the spot! 'nough said ... I do not like snakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! The phrase "LOL" does not even slightly cover my reaction to your reptile escapades. You've GOT to speak at a homeschool convention. Oh my gosh, the crowd will worship you! As a homeschooling mom myself, I know you'd be an instant hit! Oh lordy, I need to go dry my eyes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the creepy-crawlies just thinking about a snake loose in your house (even if it was in the past). For some reason my toddler loves snakes. He gets very excited about seeing them in books and at the zoo. I joke with my husband that the day that boy gets a snake pet is the day I move out!

    Thanks for your footprints comment on my blog -- so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like a rat or two - not wild scavengers but the pet variety although I have never owned one. I am not partial to slithery things at all! I particularly hate spiders and my mind runs amok at how some people keep big hairy efforts that are the size of a wrestler's hand. I can hear a souless scream in my head now as I picture one running over my body. Great story but dear God, I wouldn't have slept one wink with a potential handbag on the loose in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're like Dr. Doolittle! And I absolutely believe you when you say that you have a hippo story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great adventures at your place. will be anxiously awaiting the hippo story :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well Robynn, I know who to call when I have another snake in quail pen. LOL...
    And where were you last week?? I had one 7 foot long snake in the chicken coop and a 6 foot one in the duck pen.
    Now..what can you do with opposums?
    Had 2 of those eating chickens eggs this week.
    Have a great weekend.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your snake stories remind me of my years of owning iguanas. They're a little easier because I didn't have to feed them rats, but any reptile is higher maintenance than most people realize (in terms of housing, diet, etc.). I'm happy with any kind of critter - I find them all delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Robynn, you made me laugh hysterically with your wonderful comments...How do you do it??? You are so amazingly witty! Much love to you~ Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was advised to come here by Eddie Bluelights to see if I could borrow a snake to pop into my kitchen roof as we have a bit of a rat problem. Hopefully this will soon be remedied!
    I read with interest about your snakes and was dismayed that I couldn't borrow one after all as you have got rid of them! Oh well....... here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pak Karamu reading and visit your blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. You got me laughing! I definitely want to hear the hippo story.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great ending! I knew there had to be a snake in the wall somewhere. ;) That is where "our" six foot black snake lived for the three years we lived at the old farmhouse. I'm so glad I didn't discover him until moving day. Freak out city!

    ReplyDelete
  27. All's well that ends well...

    Now - about that hippo story!

    ReplyDelete