Sunday, February 22, 2009

"I Won! I Won! It's a Major Award!"

For those of you who don't recognize that line, it's from "A Christmas Story," one of my all time favorite movies. In it, the dad gets a huge box with a leg lamp inside and you would think he had won a new home. That's how I feel right now!

Now, I don't win things usually. But last week, on Life on a Southern Farm, I read about a contest to win a birdhouse. I followed the link and read it was true but there were a couple of catches: you had to write an essay and you had to be first to comment. I was the second but the first really didn't want to write. So, YOU KNOW ME...... Anyway, I sent the essay yesterday and it is up over there at Red Pine Mountain this morning. I hope you will pop on over and read it and let her know you've been there. What a great opportunity to get to know new friends. She will have this contest every week for the next three weeks and you should write an essay, too! Check out the darling birdhouse I won made by Pam's husband at "Life on a Southern Farm." They sell them on Etsy. If you haven't been there, oh my, it is completely wonderful and addicting. Everything is handmade by the most talented artisans. Enjoy! Gotta leave for church now.

And I'll explain the 75 when I hit it....which....with any luck....may be today!

13 comments:

  1. Fragile! I love Christmas Story! Congrats on the birdhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the essay! I left a comment there also! I thought about entering, because our granddaughter wants me to get a birdhouse,but, not so sure about the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog.
    BTW, your essay was wonderful and very well written. You spoke to from heart's of lots of women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny, your title. I am one of those that needs no explanation of the title. That movie, along with "It's a wonderful Life", are movies we watch every season. Congrats on your award. This bloggy world is a neat place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great essay on Red Pine Mountain. It would have won even if others had been submitted. It was so true, and funny too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi All! I won't comment individually sice I've been over at your sites doing that but THANK YOU for all your encouragement and support. It means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the essay... and I've heard other mom's say that they didn't even lose the amount equal to their babies weight. It sure doesn't seem fair.

    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on this one! Thanks for coming to The Apron Goddesses too! I am glad to have you visit and join the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Robynn, your post over at Red Pine Mountain was right on! I loved it! I could easily identify with your statement on "portion control." That's me for sure--a "one portion" gal at every meal!

    In the end, however, what really counts is this: What does God think? "...for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 So the heart is where I'm putting my efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just read you essay. I was a little leary at the beginning (being the hefty weight that I am), but came around at the end. Poignant and witty...that's what I would say if I were a reviewer!

    I too love PW, but I don't read her with "blinders on". I just enjoy her blog, and realize that she takes a great deal of poetic license when she writes. After all, she is well educated, has plenty of help, married into a WEALTHY ranch family...and puts her pants on the same way as wee do. One leg at a time.

    BUT OH, how I would love to have her kitchen!!! I've applied as a full time resident at The Lodge, but haven't heard back from her yet;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was brilliant, Mrs. Reilly! I love your ability to combine seriousness with humor. I realized my own tendency to over-focus on my outward appearance rather that my inward -- and in the meantime I was very gratifyingly, satisfyingly, entertained (....ingly):-D

    Thank you for sharing you talent. It does me good to laugh and learn at the same time. Keeps me from going on mind disability. Though, going on disability could have it's benefits considering the economy. :-p
    Nah, I think I'll stick to reading your blog. :-)

    Love ya, Auntie Robynn!

    ReplyDelete