Monday, January 19, 2009

"I'd Like to Thank All The Big People"



I am the proud recipient of the "Honest Scrap Award." I was nominated by Libby, of Neas Nuttiness. She took me under her wing when I decided to merge onto the blogger freeway and has been pointing me in all the right directions. She bragged on me to her friends and sent several of them my way by raving about a posting and linking it from her site. They became followers and friends, too. How do you top that? And she only met me here. (Okay, that may explain a lot. She doesn't know me well enough yet to run the other way...)


The Rules:

The honorees are to:A) first list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep!) and B) pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap.

Thank you, Libby, for this award and I'll try to come up with ten things people might not know but would want to, though they may change their minds. My life's been pretty bizarre and a whole bunch of it wouldn't be fit for a family page but, I'll take a shot.


1. I once sang for the funeral of a beloved older woman in our church. I was very saddened by her passing so I was appropriately somber and subdued as I performed. I was also impeccably clothed with my dress on backwards. It was a two-piece number, skirt and top, and I had no idea until the pastor's ten-year-old daughter asked me afterwards why the pockets of the shirt were on the back. Yes, I performed like this. No, the bonfire wasn't that big when I burned the dress.


2. When I met my husband I was camping in the high Sierras by myself. Well, sort of. I had my big ol' dog, Buck, and a 38. Jamie was camping alone too, sort of....he had his big ol' dog, Hooter (don't ask), a 357, a 22, and a shotgun. He watched me from afar as I pitched a tent big enough for six people (hey, I like comfort). He was straightening out the sheet he'd slung over a rope and nailed to the ground on four corners. (He hates it when I describe his pup tent this way but it's my blog so I get to take liberties!) Mind you, he didn't introduce himself until my tent construction was all done. This should have been a sign to me. It wasn't. Twenty-two years later we're still camping together, happily so most of the time, and we haven't shot each other yet. I'm not sure if that testifies to our markmanship or not having enough ammunition at the right time.


3. I have homeschooled my children from the very beginning and I'm getting ready to graduate my oldest. I think the Peace Corp had homeschoolers in mind when they coined the slogan, "It's the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love." The best and worst thing about homeschooling is being with your children 24 hours a day. You also don't get to blame those doggone teachers for your kids' bad habits and for everything they don't know. They imitate you. Oh dear Lord. I have created far more questions about how to do this right than I have ever formulated answers. There are lots of right ways (don't ever let some demi-goddess tell you differently) but there are a few real doozy ways to mess it up. Being so in love with your children that you don't see what needs fixing and having the guts to do it, would top the list. These are the shin kickers, the smart mouths, the disdainful, the sullen. If you have children like that and aren't heartily applying yourself to the fix, save yourself the trouble of knocking because I'm almost positive I'm not home.


4. When I was six-months-old I was given up for adoption by my father when my mother went into the hospital for five months. When she got out she wanted to know where in the heck I was and brought me back home. I'm still pondering whether or not that was a good decision but the next fifteen years would give me enough material to fill a couple of books.


5. I left home at fifteen - for good.


6. I have cleaned motel rooms and other people's toilets and eventually went to college and became a sales rep, and then manager, for a consumer products manufacturer for nine years. I saw places I had only dreamt of: New York City, Toronto, Niagra Falls, both coasts of Florida several times, the beautiful Arizona desert, among other places. I met one of my (still) very best friends on my first trip to New York. We were both dating James Reillys who were younger than us. Hers became part of ancient history. Mine is in the livingroom building a computer for our son. Most of the time he's glad it worked out this way.


7. I have snorkeled off the coast of Kaua'i in the pitch blackness of night with only a flashlight, my husband, and my children. We did have a six-inch knife to protect us from "Jaws" and the depths of the ocean's unseen horrors. We lived through the inky blackness, saw a beautiful bright orange octopus, tons of fish, of course, and snorkeled there several more times in the light of day. Two weeks later a fourteen-year-old little surfer girl had her right arm severed by a shark right where we'd been. We were also 1/2 mile out when they issued a Tsunami warning after an 8.0 earthquake hit Japan. We never knew until we got back in. The Tsunami never came but if it had we'd have been hanging a lot more than ten.


8. I sang before I could talk. I love music. I play rhythm guitar and sang in different country music bands for ten years when I was younger. I've been to Nashville and hung out at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge and Ernest Tubb's Record Shop. My big break there fell through due to an unscrupulous manager and I didn't have the heart to stick it out alone and keep pluggin'. Would I have made it? Hey, I did make it. Best gig I ever had was singing my babies lullabies and I ALWAYS wanted babies.


9. I once fell off my horse from not properly securing her bareback saddle. She cut a tight corner and I cut a fine picture sliding right underneath her belly for my graceful dismount. I don't know who got more scared but she put on quite a Wild West Show with hooves and teeth and tail and mane all flying in every direction. When it was over I'd seen a lot of horse but I never sustained so much as a broken fingernail. God determined it was not my day for facial reconstruction.


10. I love animals. I have had dogs, cats, birds (wild and domestic), horses, fish, snakes, spiders, rats, rabbits, chickens, sheep, and even insects (not counting fleas). I have been puked on, loved on, pooped on, and slept on. I have been elbow deep fishing a thermometer out of a horse's behind (who knew they just get sucked in?) and I have operated on a couple of critters in a pinch. My life must include them in order to keep me sane. Oh...and I MUST have mountains. I live at the base of the Sierras and I wish I lived 7000 ft. higher. I can never see them enough or smell them enough and, if I'm ever rich, that's where I'll live and write - in a comfy log cabin with a cheery fire, a cat on my keyboard, and a dog at my feet. When I die I want to be cremated and scattered there so I can become one with the trees, the duff, the rocks, the woods. As every mile of pavement or dirt road leads me deeper into the mountains, I feel as though I'm heading home. Everywhere else has just been a place to visit. When The Lord comes and sounds the last trump, He will know where to find what's left of me: dead or alive.



Ross Meadow

Dinkey Creek Road

Tamarck Meadow - Hunter and JoJo
Courtright Reservoir Area
Toward the West from Pine Ridge

Kings Canyon near John Muir Lodge
Northern California Redwood Forest

Oregon Caves Chateau - We were the only family there one night
Near Wawona in Yosemite

Some of the places I love the most......

Now I'm supposed to pass on this award to 7 bloggers that I think fit the spirit of the "Honest Scrap", so I am passing it on to a few who have already received it but I feel they deserve it again, if only for honorary purposes, and a few who haven't received it as far as I know:


Libby of Neas Nuttiness: This goes back to her because she cared enough to invest time in me and try to get others to do the same. She is real, honest, extremely caring, and we make each other laugh. She also writes about interesting things and takes risks. And she goes out walkin', after midnight (even if it's just in the house), like me 'n Patsy Cline, another insomniac apparently.


Tatersmama: She lets it all hang out and in the funniest ways. She's never afraid to tell it like it is while still finding the silver lining in everything, and she'll help you find it, too, and cheer you up with her beautiful colors. She also brings a tear to my eye when she tells me she spews her morning coffee while reading my blog. That's poetry, that's what that is.


A Cowboy's Wife: She is a kickin', stompin', scrap of a woman who'll make you laugh and cry with her upfront tell-it-like-it-is style. She's hard-scrabble and you'd want her on your side in a dark alley or while enduring a broken heart, 'cause she'd get it and she wouldn't run away and she might even clean your kitchen. She's organized. I wish she lived a LOT closer. I'd give her a heart attack and a lot to do. Boy, I bet she'd jump at a chance like that.


Gizzards & Calf Fries: I follow her around reading her posts to others because they make me bust up and split a seam. I started following her and she can't get rid of me. She takes the most beautiful pictures and she's a darlin' girl. You just gotta go look at her. But be careful: she photographs the south end of north bound cows.


Tetertot's: Reginia has been a friend for a long time and has the most generous spirit and humblest of hearts. She's devoted to whatever God calls her to. She could be really stuck up (but of course she's not) because she sings better than just about anybody. She's gotta be tired of the saying "The Voice of an Angel" because that's how we all describe her. And these are her bad points. Her blog is real and about her life and the wonderful children she has every right to be proud of: her beautiful (inside and out) daughters and her son who is proudly serving his country in the Marines.


Linda at Another Piece of the Pie: If you haven't seen the cup Linda's husband bought her while in Salt Lake City then I'm not saying anything else. She is so creative and funny and is always such an encouragement. She also takes great close-up pics and makes the everyday seem fascinating.


Lori She doesn't post as often but when she does it's like a storybook and, as we've been friends for years, I love her subject matter (kiddos, grandbaby, and friends) very much. Her and her husband should write volumes because they are gifted wordsmiths....and musicians.....and singers......I only hang out with the best. Follow them around very long and they'll lead you right to the heart of Christ.


So there you have it. I strongly encourage you to check these people out. And when you do, drop them a line in their comment sections. It means SO much to hear from people and it takes so little time to carve your initials in their blog. If you are a friend of mine and I didn't nominate you it's not because I didn't want to. I have another award I received and you are sure to show up there when I pass it on.

Copyright 2009

13 comments:

  1. Robynn, Thank you so much for the nice compliments and blog plug! I loved reading about you...some things I knew and others I didn't. My favorite is the story of how you and Jamie met! (did I spell that right?) I can see you with your big gun now saying, "Don't mess with me!" Good thing he saw right through that. You all are a great couple. I haven't forgotten about "publishing" you....just need to get the bootie in gear. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Ms Robynn...you think I haven't been scrapped enough?? Will this work??
    "http://cowboywife.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-heck.html"
    I've only been at this blogging thing 8 months...shouldn't I keep you wondering some instead of telling all so soon???

    What an interesting way for you and hubby to meet! Don't think I've ever heard of that kind of meeting of the hearts, it's wonderful!
    You can have the mountains, I'll take the oceans....that way we can keep the world in "perfect balance", Ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robynn,
    Love this post. You do have a wonderful way with words! And your photos are great! You are a talented lady!

    Thanks for coming to my blog yesterday. I just posted a new blog and added a link to your blog. Except it was a rather clumsy link because I haven't mastered that part of blogging yet. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh girl... what have you done? 10 things, eh? Surely I've told you that I'm post-menopausal and for the last several days I've been drinking cough (coughcough) syrup? So doesn't that mean anything to you? ;-) Nonetheless, I'll do my best!

    That's so cool - the way you and hubby met! But tell me the truth now... did he actually sleep in his little ol' "pup tent"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! I was scrapped awhile back. I don't know that y'all can take any more. I mean, really, my last scraps consisted of things like "If I were a lesbian, I would want a hot brunette girlfriend!"

    It's awesome that you thought of lil ol me! And I loved your scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your award!

    It sounds like you've led quite a life right from the start. Thanks for the insights into it.

    I pretty much need critters to stay sane as well.......although snakes would not do it for me. I prefer the company of horses, cats and dogs mostly. I'd love to have a llama or two but my husband has drawn the line. I guess that's ok since he did it after I got the 28 horses. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo ... what fun. Thank you for the nomination and the kind words. I'll do my best. I'll try to get my post up in the next few days.

    Once again, you crack me up with your stories and descriptions. I love the way you and Jamie met ... what a great story to hand down to the generations to follow.

    And now I'm off to check out the blogs you mentioned. I'm always looking for more cool people to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your comment was a few above mine on PW's website, so I clicked on you. :-) Loved this post, you have a way with words. :-) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its amazing how you cna picture some thing about the u.s and when you see them in pics its really true.
    thanks for sharing pics with a non u.s we love seeing them and for your honest pieces of scrap :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures of your favorite places are so beautiful and make me sooooo homesick :sniff sniff: I miss mountains

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love blog hopping around the world and I really love getting to know people and hearing their stories. Have you had any of your writing published?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the Honest Scrap! Just found your blog and loving it. Great pictures and a way with words. Love the meeting you DH story. Coming from a serious family of gun and dog lovers I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sighhhhh..... read "I'd like to thank all the big people" ....and my heart just about broke for you when I read #4 and #5.... sighhhhh..... ..... I really have no words.......
    I'm so glad you have such a wonderful family. You deserve it.
    Hugs to you.
    Bz

    ReplyDelete